Florida man gets 7 years for attack in Granville church

| March 23, 2010

NEWARK — A Florida man who has spent the majority of his adult life incarcerated was sentenced Monday to seven years in prison for breaking a church secretary's jaw in November.

Jurodt G. Taylor, 49, pleaded no contest and was found guilty of kidnapping, a first-degree felony, and assault, a second-degree felony. Visiting Judge Jon Spahr sentenced Taylor to seven years in prison, which will be added to sentences from his other convictions.

"Mr. Taylor, you are accountable for your actions and there are consequences," Spahr said.

On Nov. 4, Taylor went into St. Luke's Episcopal Church, 118 S. Main St., Granville, under the pretense of using the bathroom. He then accosted the church secretary, grabbing her throat and neck and dragging her in her chair toward the bathroom, Licking County Prosecutor Ken Oswalt said.

The victim recognized Taylor from the week before when she referred him to another church where he could receive financial assistance, Oswalt said.

When she screamed for help, he struck her in the face, causing three fractures to her jaw, Oswalt said.

The attack came four days after Taylor robbed a female desk clerk at knifepoint at a Belmont County Red Roof Inn, authorities said. Taylor was sentenced March 10 to seven years in prison for aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony.

Oswalt asked Spahr to run the two sentences and a parole violation from a federal charge consecutively. Taylor had been incarcerated for 17 years after he robbed a Florida bank; he could face 33 to 41 months incarceration for violating his parole by attacking the Granville victim, Oswalt said.

Defense attorney Eric Brehm argued the offenses should run concurrently, saying his client was remorseful and would like a chance to live in society.

"I know I've committed a crime and I have to pay the price. I just ask that the price is not too high," Taylor said.

Spahr said running the sentences concurrently would be the equivalent of not punishing him for the Licking County assault.

Taylor said his criminal activity was driven by frustration about losing his job and wife, who died of cancer in June.

"I just couldn't take it anymore," he said.

Taylor revealed no motive for the attack but denied that it was a sexual assault. Oswalt questioned why the death of Taylor's wife led him to such violence.

"That's lost on me," Oswalt said.



Tags: , ,

Category: Church Security

Comments are closed.