Prosecutors seek death penalty for alleged killer of Arlington pastor, prompting mixed feelings in congregation

| August 5, 2011

ARLINGTON, TX— It is a difficult decision to reconcile for members of First Baptist Arlington, who are coping with the reality that Tarrant County prosecutors will seek the death penalty in a murder case close to their hearts.

"I have conflict inside of me because I am a Christian minister," Senior Pastor, Dr. Dennis Wiles, said.

Wiles just learned that prosecutors will seek the death penalty against Steven Nelson, if he is convicted of killing pastor Clint Dobson (29) inside NorthPointe Baptist church earlier this year. The popular pastor was suffocated with a plastic bag during what police say was a robbery. A church assistant was nearly beaten to death. Attorneys say the crime warrants a death sentence.

"Inside of me about 70% says yes, but the other 30% says that I have to be careful about that," Wiles said.

Wiles says he supports capital punishment in cases where the evidence supports a conviction and is clear cut. He says he trusts the government and system to do the right thing in the case involving Pastor Dobson.

 

http://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-pastor-conflicted-about-death-penalty-for-killer-story,0,7994667.story

SOURCE and Read More:

If the link is dead or no longer live please email us at [email protected] for assistance.

Tags: , ,

Category: Church Security

Comments are closed.