Vatican condemns attack on Rome church during protest

| October 16, 2011

VATICAN CITY—The Vatican has condemned Saturday’s violent clashes in central Rome including an attack by protesters on a church in which a crucifix and a statue of the Virgin Mary were destroyed.

Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said he “condemned the violence and the fact that a church was desecrated by some protesters who broke in and destroyed some images.” He referred to the clashes in Rome as “horrific.”

The 18th-century church of Santi Marcellino and Pietro is near St John Lateran square where much of Saturday’s violence occurred.

“When I came down, I saw the entrance door had been smashed in,” the church’s parish priest, Father Giuseppe Ciucci, was quoted by Italian media as saying.

“The Virgin Mary’s statue, which was at the entrance, had been taken away and I saw it had been thrown into the street and smashed,” he said.

 

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/77241/vatican-condemns-attack-on-rome-church-during-protest

 

SOURCE and Read More:

If the link is dead or no longer live please email us at [email protected] for assistance.

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Church Security

Comments are closed.